A short message service center (SMSC) is a network element in the mobile telephone network. Its purpose is to store, forward, convert and deliver SMS messages
The tasks of an SMSC can be described as
- Reception of text messages (SMS) from wireless network users
- Storage of text messages
- Forwarding of text messages
- Delivery of text messages (SMS) to wireless network users
- Maintenance of unique time stamps in text messages
- When a user sends a text message (SMS message) to another user, the message gets stored in the SMSC (short message service center) which delivers it to the destination user when they are available.